My oh my it feels like fall today! Isn’t it just fabulous? Today I’ve got a little whimsical Halloween decor project for you, since it’s right around the corner. I don’t go all out for Halloween like some do – just some touches here and there. My taste for Halloween decor falls more on the whimsical side (as the title suggests) and not the macabre. This tutorial is for making the little puffs on the tree branch in the picture. They could be used in a wreath or vase just as easily! Let’s make some puffs!
This list of “ingredients” couldn’t be simpler!
- Yarn – The different colored puffs were mad with Red Heart yarn Boutique Magical, Crystal Ball. The black and white yarn I’ve had forever, but this Martha Stewart glitter eyelash yarn in Onyx would work.
- colored wire – These little packs of colored wire are perfect for this!
- scissors – to cut the yarn
- I used a drill to twist my wire, but it is not necessary, I just like the way it looks better!
Making the Puff
This is so easy you can do it while watching your favorite show! Cut some of the colored wire into pieces about 20″ to 24″ long. I used two colors for each “stem”.
- Grab your yarn – the fuzzier the better!
- Lay the end over your fingers and spread your fingers out slightly. You can use a piece of cardboard for this, but my hands are my best tools!
- Wrap the yarn around your fingers until it’s nice a full. Don’t pull too tight.
- Bend two pieces of the wire in the middle and lay it over the middle of the puff. Give it a little twist to hold it in place.
- Bend the end of the wires into a loop.
Twisting the Wire
You can do this with your hands, but I used a drill to get a tighter twist. Here’s how I did it!
Insert the looped end into the end of the drill. You’ll want the drill to be almost completely closed. This will make it easier to hold the chuck and tighten it.
Tighten down the chuck and press the trigger. Look at that twist!
Remove the wire from the chuck and you’re ready for the next step.
These little curlicues add the perfect bit of whimsy!
- Cut a piece of wire about 6″ long and bend it in half.
- Wrap one side around a pencil or crochet hook to twirl the end.
- Insert the un-twirled side through the center of the puff.
- Twirl the other side.
- Cut the puff loops, keeping the twirls out of the way.
- Fluff it out!
Now, I got a little carried away and made a whole bunch of these! The Red Heart yarn in Boutique Magical, Crystal Ball is really great for this because the yarn changes, so your puffs are all different!
What to do with all those puffs?
The possibilities are endless! You could make a whole wreath with them or stick a bunch in a vase. Just be careful because they like to stick together! I decided to decorate a tree branch from my crepe myrtle. I really like it!
I’m going to use it as part of a Halloween vignette. That means more whimsical Halloween decor is coming your way! Come back Wednesday for a spooky spider frame and a surprise! See y’all then!
Pin it for later!