It’s Friday and the first day of Fall Break for our school system! Five whole days to get some projects done! First on my list is finishing my cheese box makeover. I already turned the lid into a reversible fall sign, so now it’s time to makeover the box itself. This is what it looked like before, in case you don’t remember:
I put that fabric, which is layered over batting, on with hot glue. The fabric itself was easy enough to pull off, but the batting was a different story!
Fashion Friday – 10/7/16 – Coats & Jackets for 30% Off + FREE SHIPPING w/code OUTERWEAR
Just FYI, that Cricut scraper was used along with the heat gun to remove leftover hot glue! Not just for the Cricut!
- heat gun – I borrowed this one from my son, but it will be staying in my studio! (hee hee!)
- sandpaper – I used a coarse grit and a fine grit. I like to buy an assorted pack to be ready for whatever!
- paint brush – This was used to dust off after using the sandpaper.
- silver ribbon – I’d say this is optional depending on what you prefer!
- permanent tape runner
- spray paint – I used Krylon Cover Maxx in Ivory/Satin.
Painting the Outside
Once I had wrangled all the fabric off the interior and pulled off most of the batting, I took it outside for a re-paint. I used the finer sandpaper to just knock off some of the loose stuff.
Y’all I spent most of the day, after it was dry, removing the rest of the hot glue! At least I got a good arm workout! Once the paint is dry, use the heat gun to bubble it up a bit. Another FYI here, the purple spots you see showing through are because I painted this on top of a garbage bag full of yard trash. That’s why I didn’t get the greatest coverage! I kinda like it. (grin)
I love the texture this gave it!
I started off trying to get a “burned” effect with my hand held lighter – that’s why it’s in the picture above. It did work on the edges some, but it really wasn’t worth the effort, so I turned back to the heat gun. With it on the highest setting, it did scorch the wood. Just be careful because it can set things on fire!
It took a little longer on the sides, but eventually I got the effect I was looking for!
I decided to add the silver ribbon to the edges to mimic the metal banded one I saw at Time & Tide – A Collective last weekend. It was awesome, but it was also $40! Totally worth it, since it was an antique, but out of my budget. I just used a permanent tape runner to adhere the ribbon to the outer edge.
Now it’s all finished!
I plan on turning this into a shelf for the wall, but I need something to hang it with. Maybe I’ll find something really awesome to hang it with at the 100 Mile Peanut Pickin’ Yardsale! It’s tomorrow and I can’t wait! I’ll be posting on Instagram about my adventures, so check it out! Better yet, maybe I’ll see some of y’all there!