It’s Friday y’all! That means only 3 more weeks until my son graduates high school! Where did the time go?!? I’ve put it off as much as possible, but it’s time to start thinking about college needs. There are lots of ideas for the college dorm room out there, but most are for the females! I’m a #boymom (even if he has a beard now!) & I need ideas for guys. I know other moms in the same situation who may be looking for ideas. So, I rounded up some college dorm room ideas for guys! Maybe this will help ease the transition a little – sniff, sniff!
I’ve tried to include a variety of products in this post. Everyone’s situation is different and I wanted to show a range of options. There are things for dorm dwellers & those living in an apartment.
Dorm Room Storage
I can honestly say, most guys are messy creatures! This not only comes from being a boy mom & having a husband, but from working with mostly teenage boys as a teacher. I teach drafting which usually attracts a mostly male classroom.
Storage solutions need to be practical & easy to use. Although most of it will probably wind up on the floor!
- Reversible Cube Grid in Black/White • $13.99 ~ These are a great alternative to regular shelving when space is an issue. I really like the geometric design instead of the standard mesh ones.
- Dorm Sticker Trunk, Black • $25–199 ~ This is a pricier piece, but it’s also multi-functional! Not only does it provide storage, it’s rated for up to 200 lbs & can be used as extra seating or a coffee table.
- HONEY CAN DO Honey-Can-Do Set of 4 Plastic Bed Risers • Honey-Can-Do • $16.99 ~ These bed risers will give extra storage in an unused space.
- Household Essentials® Canvas Decorative Box – Natural with Coffee Trim • Household Essentials • $8.59 ~ You can find bins like this with or without lids & they work great under the bed or in the cubed shelving.
- Kennedy 6 Shelf Sweater Organizer • Dormify • $15 ~ A great way to get extra storage in a closet area.
- Over the Door Shoe Rack, Gray Mini Dot • $9.99–24 ~ Over the door storage is often missed! This shoe rack is great for much more than shoes!
Dorm Room Furniture
Many dorm rooms or college apartments come with furniture. It may or may not be functional or useful! College can involve lots of late night study sessions (hopefully!) and having a good space to do that is important.
- AnthologyTM Folding Storage Ottoman in Cargo • $13.99 ~ I love multi-functional furniture! This little ottoman not only provides storage & seating, it folds up for easy storage.
- Bea Dorm Bean Bag Chair, Quick Ship • $49 ~ What dorm room is complete without a bean bag chair? This one’s a little neater because it has pockets & a handle for dragging it around!
- Taylor Futon – Gray/White • $125.98 ~ This is a stylish double duty couch for those with a little more space!
- Hodedah Import Computer Desk Black • $34.99 ~ I can see this being great for a laptop or food & the wheels make it easy to move around.
- Equip Your Space Matte Black Metal Goose Neck Desk Lamp • $9.99 ~ Put light right where it’s needed with this little desk lamp.
- Walls Need Love Dry-Erase Notebook Wall Decal • $26 ~ Okay, this is not really furniture, but hopefully something like this will be near a desk to help keep up with important college tasks. ; )
Dorm Room Bedding
You’ll notice I didn’t include a bed in the furniture section. That’s because most college dorms or apartments come with at least a bed. There are things you can do to make it cozier! I’m planning on sending a homemade quilt with my son. : )
- Simmons Siesta 3 in. Twin Blue Memory Foam Roll-Up Mattress • Simmons • $69.99 ~ This is a cheaper alternative to bringing your own mattress!
- The Big One® Microfiber Pillow • $3.99–9.99 ~ Got to have comfy pillows!
- Anti Bed Bug Mattress Protector • Urban Outfitters • $59–89 ~ Pair this with #1 for a comfortable & bug free night. ; )
- Plush Blanket, Twin/XL Twin, Navy • $19.99–49 ~ Plush blankets just make it cozier!
- Keaton Stripe Pillowcases, Set of 2, Blue • $19.99 ~ Extra pillow cases in case he decides to actually wash them!
- Kyle Dorm Comforter Kit in Grey • $49.99–69.99 ~ This is a great bedding set! Sheets, comforter, sham, & throw!
Dorm Room Bathroom & Laundry
This is an area that really makes me cringe! I know guys are notorious for being very messy in these areas. All I know to do is give them tools (& knowledge) in this area & hope for the best!
- Body Glove Men’s Sandbar Flip Flop 8144463 • Body Glove • $8.95 ~ For those that have to use “community” showers. Ugh!
- Williams Sonoma Carrier Caddy • Williams-Sonoma • $7.95 ~ A basic tote for keeping bathroom essentials separate from other roommates.
- Nice ‘n Clean® 48-Count Flushable Moist Wipes • $3.49 ~ Whether it’s moist wipes or the standard variety, you can never have too much toilet paper!
- Maytex Mills Maytex Mesh Pockets PEVA Shower Curtain • JCPenney • $19 ~ This is great for those sharing an apartment bathroom! Label each pocket for each person.
- Pinzon Basics 100% Egyptian Cotton 725-gm 6-Piece Towel Set, Cocoa • $21.99 ~ This towel set is a great starter set for a great price!
- Whitmor 6155-699 18″ Collapsible Hamper, Wht W/ Blue Trim • Whitmor • $13.79 ~ Dirty laundry hauler!
Dorm Room Kitchen
I realize most college kids survive on pizza & ramen noodles. However, I’ve made it a point to show my son how to cook a simple meal. I also made sure he understands that he will be the one paying for takeout, not mom! Some students only eat in the cafeteria & can’t cook in the dorm, but some of these are good for both.
- Gibson Home Dorm Kitchen 38-pc. Combo Set • $69.99 ~ What a great little set for the kitchen! It’s got all the essentials!
- Mr. Coffee Pour! Brew! Go! Personal Coffee Maker – Black • Mr. Coffee • $39.99 ~ Compact coffee brewer with cup. Yes, my son loves coffee too!
- Nostalgia Electrics Nostalgia RMO770RED Retro Series 0.7 Cubic Foot 700-Watt Microwave Oven • NostalgiaElectrics • $99.99 ~ 99.9% of dorm food is cooked in a microwave! That’s just my guess, anyway. ; )
- Gourmia® Portable 9-Can Mini Fridge Cooler and Warmer in White • $69.99 ~ A little fridge/cooler to keep drinks close by & cool.
- Williams Sonoma Campus Oven Mitt & Pot Holder Set, Red • Williams-Sonoma • $8.95 ~ Food can be very hot when it comes out of the microwave!
- White Compact Dish Rack • World Market • $6.73 ~ Maybe someone’s washing the dishes & not just using disposable things.
College Dorm Decor
I’m sure most guys dorm rooms are decorated with posters & such. My son is an artist, so I feel he needs some art for his walls!
- Art.com Wolf Of Wall Street by Matt Dinniman Unframed Wall Art Print • Art.com • $17.09 ~ This is right up my son’s alley!
- Art.com – Times Square • Art.com • $19.99–84.99 ~ My son wants to live in the big city, so here’s something to help reach that goal.
- Canetti Design Group Acrylic 4″ x 4″ Picture Frame • $20 – A simple frame to keep a picture of, oh I don’t know, me? ; )
- Seiko Travel Alarm With World Time Bezel And Dial Light Black Clock Qhe116klh • Seiko • $22.50 ~ A clock to tell time when the phone’s dead because it wasn’t charged!
- 3M CommandTM 3-Pack Medium Picture Hanging Strips • $2.99 ~ Removable hangers are a must in rented spaces!
- 3M CommandTM 48-Pack Poster Strips • $7.99
Through the month of May, Amazon has a 6 month free trial of Prime Student! Membership includes free two-day shipping, exclusive discounts available only to students, and access to Prime Photos and Prime Video. After the trial, it’s $49 for a year, which is 50% of regular Amazon Prime! This is a great place to find school supplies, books, & snacks and get them fast!
Okay, enough college talk for today, I already need more tissue! Y’all have a great weekend & come back Monday for Part 2 of Using a Photo for Fabric Art. We’ll be working on stitches! My new health log is up, if your interested. : )