Repurposed Office Organizer with Succulent Planter


It’s Wednesday which means it’s time for some more DIY goodness!  Today I’m showing you another repurpose of my old jewelry box parts.  I decided to turn this part into an office organizer with a bonus planter top.  Now I’ll have some greenery to liven up my office/entry.  Yeah, my “office” is in my front door entry area!  Not the best solution, but we don’t really use our front door much, so it works for now. : )  Maybe this little project will make me want to get in there & clean up some paper piles!

Disclaimer:  This post contains affiliate links which means I may receive a small commission if you buy something through my link or ad.  This does not change your cost it just helps keep this blog running.  Thanks for your support!  See Privacy Policy & Affiliate Deals page for more information.


Painting the Interior

The jewelry box part I’m using for today’s project is the very center with the drawers.

First I needed to a little clean up before painting!  There was some glue & foamy bits left in the top where I removed the glorious green velvet.  I took care of that with the heat gun & razor blade.  This was a similar process to cleaning up my cheese box project, just not quite as tedious!

I was going to remove the green velvet from all the drawers too, but it did not want to leave!  I wound up cleaning it up as best I could with a lint brush.

Then I thought this would be a perfect time to test painting a textured fabric for my upcoming chair makeover.  I painted a small part with some fabric paint I had on hand.  It seemed to do okay, but I really didn’t have enough plus I didn’t love the red.  I decided to try spray paint.  Uhhhhhh……..

Not so great!  I had to really saturate it to get it to show the color.  The orange is a flat Rustoleum spray paint.  I decided to try a dark blue satin I had on hand.

That was much better!  It blended in better with the green & didn’t need as much paint.  I used Rustoleum LeakSeal in black for the top part because I want to put plants in it.  I’ve never used this before, so I’m hoping it works!  I put a fairly thick coat in the corners.

Once everything was dry, I decided to keep the one orange drawer as is.  It’s not as great as the blue, but it’s going to be hidden most of the time anyway.

Painting the Exterior

I chose to use chalk paint for the exterior.  This jewelry drawer is made of pressed wood with a laminate over it.  Chalk paint gives the best finish with the least amount of work!  I used DecoArt Americana Decor Chalky Finish in primitive for the fronts of the drawers.

And I used the same brand in vintage for the sides of the drawer base.  I also dry brushed some golden yellow acrylic over the chalk paint on the sides.

To give the drawers some extra punch, I decoupaged a light weight scrapbook paper on the sides.

Two of the drawers didn’t have handles anymore since I used them for my jewelry organizer.  I added a little silver metallic lustre to the ones with missing handles.  Using e6000 glue I attached a broken coffee mug handle to one drawer.

And another handle of some sort I found in my yard.  I find all kinds of broken glass  ceramics in my yard & I have no idea where it comes from!

I glued a key & keyhole to each side of the drawer to help cover up holes left from the jewelry box hardware.


The it was ready to assemble!  I added potted succulents to the planter area.  They need to be removable so I can take them to the window sometimes.  No windows in my office!


And here are some “glamour shots”!

It’s amazing what natural lighting does for a photo!

That dried gourd in the front is a loofah gourd.  When you rub off the outside you have a loofah scrubber!  I’m hoping to grow more this year.

Okay, now I need to clean up my office so I can actually use this!  Hope y’all are having a wonderful Wednesday!




Print Friendly, PDF & Email


    • Kristie Cook says:

      It’s making me pretty happy too! I’ve got one more project coming up to use the last big piece! 🙂

Leave a Reply