This time of year there’s always plenty of sweets and comfort food around. As much as I love all the cakes, pies, and dressing, sometimes a bit of fresh vegetables are needed to break the cycle. I’ve got a super simple veggie pasta sauce to help you do just that! This sauce is very easy to whip up and it can double as a great dip for tortilla chips. It even gets an approval from my pickiest eater!
The fresher your ingredients, the tastier the sauce is! The crushed tomatoes I used are some I canned myself, but crushed tomatoes from the store will work too. A jar of roasted red peppers will add even more flavor.The real secret weapon here is the Ninja blender! This helps the kale, spinach, and mushrooms disappear into the sauce, unnoticed by picky eaters. Just tell them it’s parsley!
Go ahead and give the mushrooms a quick dicing. This just helps fit it into the blender better. I really love the flavor of baby portabella mushrooms, but white button mushrooms will work too.
Next chop up the kale and spinach blend. I’m using the baby version of both to keep the flavor light and fresh.
Blend it up!
Make sure to drain the roasted red peppers before adding them to the blender. Aren’t they beautiful? I hope to can my own this summer!
Toss everything but the mushrooms and greens into the blender.
Blend everything until well mixed. I add the mushrooms and greens separately, blending between each add in.
The great thing about this is you can blend it as finely as you want! Like I said, everything disappears, like a ninja! Most of it will fit into a quart sized jar, but you can divide it up into smaller servings.
This will last about a week or so in the fridge. If you want to freeze it, it will need to be cooked first because of the fresh ingredients. I used half of this with some rotini pasta and chopped smoked sausage for an easy weeknight dinner. I also tried it with a tortilla chip and it was fabulous!
I hope y’all enjoy this mid-week healthy boost!
The perfect sauce to add veggies to a weeknight pasta dish!
- 1 qt. home-canned tomatoes or 1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (6 oz) can tomato paste
- 12 oz roasted red peppers, drained
- 1/2 pint whole baby portabella mushrooms
- 2-4 cups baby spinach and kale blend
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 Tbsp oregano
- 1/2 Tbsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- Roughly chop the mushrooms and spinach/kale blend. Set aside.
- Add everything but the mushrooms and spinach/kale blend to a blender. Blend until well combined.
- Add the mushrooms and blend until well combined.
- Add the spinach and kale and blend until desired consistancy.
- Store in an airtight container for up to a week in the fridge.