Ready for a super tasty, quick, and easy recipe? Well, ready or not, here it comes! Why un-stuffed peppers? I used to make stuffed peppers, but I always had too much stuffing and my guys didn’t really eat the peppers. Plus, you have to cook the stuffing, stuff the peppers, and then bake. Way too much going on for a weeknight supper! So, I decided to turn this into a one pot meal. Woo-hoo! Let’s get cooking!
These are my ingredients. The ground beef is from M & T meats, of course! I usually use ground venison, but this hunting season was slim pickings, so we are out.:( You can use whatever brand of ingredients you want, this is just what was in my pantry/freezer.
Cut up the peppers. I really love this bamboo cutting board! I got it as a Christmas gift from my Secret Santa – when I used to work in an office – about 6 or 7 years ago. It’s held up amazingly well! What I really, really love is the knife! It’s solid stainless steel, so no crud gets on the edge of the handle. Yay!
Charred peppers! Yum!
Cook the meat and spices. Yes, I used a different pan for my peppers, but you don’t have too! I’m using my dutch oven to cook this in. My MIL gave me this for Christmas (Thanks!) and it’s my favorite dish to cook in. You can use it on top of the stove or in the oven. I will be investing in more cast iron!
In goes the tomatoes and black beans. Don’t forget to rinse your black beans! These tomatoes are some I canned myself. My grandmother-in-law and I picked a TON of tomatoes last summer. Her brothers had a farmer friend that let us pick over what was left in the field. I made one trip, she made about 20!! She put up well over 100 quarts of tomatoes!! 😮 She is 75 years young and I hope I’m still truckin’ around like her when I grow up!
Add in the orzo and water. The orzo will stick to the bottom if you don’t keep an eye on it, sneaky buggers!
Add the peppers back in. I usually just let them sit on top cause now it’s time for the best part!
Cheese! I love me some cheese!
Now, who’s ready to eat? Add you some sour cream and freshly sliced avocado, delicious!
I hope ya’ll enjoy my recipe, the printable version is below. Come back on Friday for my Georgia Girl story and get more details about the sweet GA necklace I’ve been wearing! See ya’ll later!
- 2-3 green peppers, sliced
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1lb ground beef (or venison)
- 1lb ground turkey
- 1 Tbsp minced onion
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp cumin
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- salt & pepper to taste
- (1) 15-16 oz can black beans, rinsed
- (1) 15-16 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 1/2 cup orzo pasta
- 1/2 cup shredded colby jack cheese (pepper jack works great too!)
- Put oil in skillet and heat to med-high.
- Add peppers and cook until softened and charred.
- Remove peppers and add ground beef and turkey, minced onion, garlic powder, cumin, chili powder, salt, and pepper to the pan. Cook until browned thru.
- Add black beans, diced tomatoes, and salsa to the meat. Cook on med-high for about 2-3 minutes.
- Add water and orzo to pan and continue cooking until orzo is done. Be sure to stir frequently to keep the orzo from sticking to the pan!
- Cut the heat off and add peppers and cheese to pan. Cover and let stand for about 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Add your favorite taco toppings to finish it off!