Making Pants that Fit


Yes, I made myself new pants and the best part is, they fit!  I sewn everything from my own wedding dress to quilts and beyond.  Making pants, besides pajama bottoms, has been a tough one for me.  I’ve made toddler blue jeans, but making pants for myself has never been successful.  You know why?  I didn’t take the time to alter the pattern to fit my body.  Well, a little pant snafu last week forced me to make a pair and take the time to do it right!

Disclaimer:  This post contains affiliate links which means I may receive a small commission if you buy something through my link or ad.  This does not change your cost it just helps keep this blog running.  Thanks for your support!  See Privacy Policy for more information.

Pant Snafu

The pants in the picture below have been with me for many years.  I loved them and wore them quite frequently.  Last week I was having a little lunch before I went to work.  I happened to drop something in my lap and when I looked down, I saw the hole.  Since I was about 5 minutes from leaving the house, I was very grateful I saw this before I left!


I have big thighs so this tends to happen to most of my pants.  These pants have such an interesting texture and color, which is why I loved them.  I will be using them for something else, just don’t know what yet.pant-textur

The Pattern

Since I was down to 2 pair of dress pants, I had to make some new pants.  Yes, I could of visited the store, but I’m trying to sew more for myself this year!  I picked a pattern out of my stash that was simple, but didn’t look like pajama bottoms.  This one has a simple waist band with a side zip, perfect!


I used the Colette Patterns Pants Fitting Cheat Sheet to alter the pattern.  Colette has a wonderful library of sewing tips and techniques, all for free.  They also have a podcast called Seamwork Radio you can listen to while you sew.  I’m not going to show you all the alterations I made but I will show you my finished pants.  I used a creamy, linen type fabric with a contrasting side zip and waist lining.


Yes, my dart is twisted on one side!  Here’s a close up.


The pattern calls for a hook and eye at the top of the zip.  I don’t know if I’ll add one yet, it just depends on how they wear.


Interior detail.


There are a couple problems.  The “crotch” area is still to large and low in the front and the legs are a little too wide.  I will alter this in the pattern for my next pair.


I pressed a crease in the front, which was not on the pattern, but I think it looks nicer.  These pants do not stay wrinkle free very long!  My dog decided to photo bomb me!


All in all I’m happy with them and I have new pants!  This pattern is easy enough for beginning sewers, just 3 pattern pieces.  The zipper might be a challenge, but you have to start somewhere!



Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Leave a Reply