I need a new seatbelt cover! The one I have is, well, disgusting! It looks like it’s lead a hard life.
Yuck! I just never think about washing it. Kind of like my whole vehicle! I think about it, when I’m getting in the car to go somewhere. It goes something like this:
“Man, I really need to clean out my car!”
Then I head to where ever I’m going, get back, and unload whatever has hitched a ride while I was gone, and say –
“Man, I really need to clean out my car, but I’m too pooped now. I’ll do it another day.”
“Another day” tends to never show up!
Any-who, I decided to make a new seatbelt cover and put the old one out of its misery! Maybe having something nice to look at will encourage me to finally clean out my car. 🙂
Here’s how I did it:
• A soft minky type for the front
• Some left over fleece inside
• A fun sewing print for the inside
• Cut to 7″ x 10″, which is slightly bigger than the stinky one, to allow for seams.
• Velcro – I used some leftovers I had which were about 1″ long. I will be using one long strip for the next one versus small pieces. That’s just what I had!
○ Note: No sticky back velcro! It will gum up your needle and cause major problems! Guess how I know?
I used a walking foot and quilt guide to sew the minky fabric to the fleece. This is a thin minky and the fleece just gives it some more body. You can use batting material, but I had the fleece left over from another project. The walking foot helps keep the minky and fleece from stretching and moving too much. If you don’t have a walking foot, I suggest using quilt batting and cotton fabric.
As you can see, it still moves some! This is just a wavy stitch on my machine.
Lay the sewing print, right sides facing, on top of the minky. I used the edge of my walking foot as a guide for the seam.
Don’t forget to leave an opening for turning! This only needs to be about 1 1/2″ to 2″ long, and make sure to back stitch at the ends.
Trim corners and trim seams. I also cut the fleece down shorter to have less bulk in the seams.
Turn it right side out. Push out corners with a crochet hook, knitting needle, or something else with a blunt, pointed end.
Give it a good press with the iron, making sure to tuck under seams at opening.
I think I need a ribbon tab…
I cut a piece about 2″ long and folded it in half. It’s tucked into the end of my opening. I just love these clips!
Tab all sewn on! I used the edge of my walking foot as a guide for top stitching. The extra stitch at the top is because I got too far away from the edge and didn’t catch my opening seam! Since this is for me, I just left it there. 🙂 Make sure you take this into account, so you don’t make the same mistake as me!
I switched to a standard J-foot to sew on the velcro. Stitch about an 1/8″ from the edge of the velcro around all sides. If the needle is to the left, you can use the center mark found on most J-feet as a guide. Make sure one part of the velcro is on the outside. I don’t think it matters which part. If I’m wrong, please let me know!
Once you have one side sewn, fold the side over to help align the other side. I usually just eyeball this for something small. If you want it to be more accurate, use a ruler aligned with the edge and mark it.
That looks so much better than the old one!
Buh-bye, you have served me well!
Now, about cleaning out the car….hmmm….maybe another day!
If you have any questions, complaints, praises (yes!) please let me know below!