Wire Basket Makeover ~ Painting & Adding Handles

Craftsy

Today’s project was so last minute it almost didn’t happen!  Sometimes I know what I’m going to do for every post of the week & sometimes I actually get it done early.  Most of the time I’m just winging it!  When I went to bed last night I still didn’t know what I was doing for today’s post.  Then I remembered the wire baskets recently added to my DIY collection.  I thought a wire basket makeover would be perfect for a last minute project!

Disclaimer:  This post contains affiliate links which means I may receive a small commission if you buy something through my link or ad.  This does not change your cost it just helps keep this blog running.  Thanks for your support!  See Privacy Policy & Affiliate Deals page for more information.

Painting a Wire Basket

These are the wire baskets I’m making over…

I found them for $1 apiece at the 100 mile yard sale in October.  They needed a little scrubbing with some all purpose cleaner & a big scrub brush.  I didn’t think y’all would want to see pictures of that!  ; )

After they were dry, I decided to paint them since the finish was worn off & they had a few rusty spots.  I’m using Rust-Oleum Ultra Cover in purple & coral so they will match the color scheme for my craft room’s future makeover.  I painted 2 baskets purple & one coral.

When you spray paint something with lots of holes, make sure you have an area ready that can handle lots of over spray.  I think more paint got on the surroundings than the basket!

That’s all it really takes to paint a wire basket, but I would let it dry fully between turning it to get all the angles.  Then maybe go back over it once more.  I had limited time & may or may not have purple paint on my hands!  ; D

Making Handles

For my handles I grabbed some larger wooden thread spools from my jar, some vine wrapped craft wire, & a piece of leather from my stash.

I cut 4 pieces of wire to the length I wanted the handle + about 6″.

I slid a spool on the wire & wrapped one end around the top wire on the basket.  Once the spool was centered how I wanted, I attached the other end of the wire & cut off the excess.  Easy peasy!

For the coral basket I decided to use leather strips plus grommets.  You may notice there are only 3 grommet sets in the picture & that’s because it’s all I had left!  I’ll have to attach the second handle after a trip to the craft store.  : )

I cut the leather in half lengthwise, then folded each end over about 1/2″, marking it by creasing the leather.

I pressed the two grommet halves onto each side to mark for the holes.

This makes it easy to know what to cut out for the grommets!

At first I was a little stumped at how I was supposed to hammer in a grommet on a basket strap!  Then I realized I could just lay it on it’s side & hammer through the wire openings.

Leather handle complete!

 

Finished Baskets

I just gotta say, wire baskets are not easy to photograph!  I stacked them on my dining room table first…

That really wasn’t working because it’s hard to see the baskets because of all the stuff in the background!  Then I decided to try hanging them on my {currently} empty mantle shelf…

That makes a much better picture!  My mantle shelf is waiting for me to decide if I’m going to throw some fall decorations up there or just wait for Christmas decorating time.  : )

The white wall makes for a much better back drop…

I can’t wait to fill these with fun things – like fabric!  : D

 

Pin it for later!

 

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

4 comments

Leave a Reply